DIY Embroidered t-shirt

DIY embroidered t-shirt
Stitched Gifts
DIY embroidered t-shirt

Yesterday I shared some big news that I've been keeping a secret for a while now- my book! I wanted to style a special photo shoot with some hand embroidered elements in my clothing to help announce the news. It's been about a billion degrees here in NY, so I took a plain tank top and fancied it up with some simple stitches.  


I usually always use cotton DMC thread, but for these tops I used silk thread I got from Purl Soho. I was so surprised how much they pop with a few quick and simple stitches- the running stitch and blanket stitch. The trickiest part is that t-shirt material is stretchy, so you can't pull too tight or it'll pucker. I did pull tightly on the blanket stitch around the neckline though, because I liked how it created a scalloped edge when pulled tight. 


Don't worry about being perfect. I wasn't precious with these stitches, just let them be organic in pattern, length, and followed the curves of the neckline as a guide. It's the overall affect and colors that will add interest- not perfect stitches! 


DIY embroidered t-shirt


The blanket stitch and how to end a length of thread...DIY embroidered t-shirt


Hope you give it a try! 

12 comments:

  1. Jess, you make me want to see everything with colorful embroidery thread :) I've always wanted to embroider a braid in my hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i remember putting yarn in your braid was something we did in elementary school - lets bring it back!!

      Delete
  2. Love these! Will definitely try this as it's crazy hot in GA as well! Where did you get the tank tops?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! yeah, def try it! the tops are from H&M, but really you can probably find something similar anywhere....

      Delete
  3. What kind of thread are you using? I MUST try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Susan! I link the thread in the post, where it says "Purl"... thanks!

      Delete
  4. What kind of thread are you using? I MUST try this and the thread gives it a really unique look!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the "Miniature Rhino" moniker. Mine is "Ugly Rhino" :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the "Miniature Rhino" moniker. My nickname is "Ugly Rhino". Not because I am particularly bad looking but because I used to get angry very fast.

    ...

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a brilliant idea, I might give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun idea! I have so much of this thread and I've never come up with anything to use it on. I might be doing this soon....

    embroidery on t shirt

    ReplyDelete
  9. So simple and such a beautiful result! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete

thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!! it's nice...